More and more homes are turning to the use of solar power. There are two uses for solar power in residences today. The first one is heating water and the second one is as an energy source. The great thing about solar panels is that they are very simple in concept and design as compared with other similar devices. They are so simple that you could even do the installation on your own if you are familiar enough with handling tools. That means maintenance of solar panels is going to be an easy thing as well.
To help serve as a guide for you in maintaining the solar panel that you have at home, we have listed here some steps that you can follow:
- As we have mentioned, solar panels by design are very simple and because of that they are easy to maintain. For a water heating solar panel for example the only moving part is the pump for the water, the rest of the device just sits there waiting for the sun to bombard it. There is nothing to worry about any parts breaking down or starting to go loose.
- You have inspect it regularly to see that no debris would be falling on the surface of the panel. Leaves and other pieces could prevent the device from the full blast of the sun.
- Dust is another thing that could affect the performance of a solar panel. If you leave in an area that produces a lot of dust you should see to it that you get your solar panels cleaned regularly.
- You should use a cleaning solution made from dishwashing soap mixed with warm water. You can use that directly on the surface of the panel to remove dust and grime that has accumulated.
- Bird droppings can also be a problem and would greatly reduce the efficiency of the panels in receiving light.
Panels are designed to last for over 30 years, but that lifespan can be greatly reduced if it is not properly maintained. The fact that there are no moving parts might be a factor in it being ignored. You should not forget however to check it regularly. If your solar panel is on your roof which is generally the usual place where panels are installed, then you need to be very careful and you ought to keep in mind that your safety is more important than anything else.